Thursday, March 31, 2011

This love is getting the best of me

I’m a few days late but I’m finally getting around to posting this week. Truth is, it’s been another difficult choice. I knew it would be something off the Sounds new album, Something to Die For. But I didn’t know what—there’s too many good songs to choose from (not that that’s a bad thing).
How could I not love the Sounds, a blond female-fronted New Wave indie rock band? (It could only get better if she played the tambourine!) I loved their first album, Living in America. And the second, Dying to Say This to You, was almost as good. I saw them live at Irving Plaza and they were energetic and amazing.
However, their last album, Crossing the Rubicon, was a bit of a disappointment. I couldn’t get into it, and it got lost in the shuffle. I never even bought it…I just “acquired” it online, which says a lot. So with trepidation I listened to Something to Die For, but it instantly clicked. It mixes the right amount of fuzzy guitars, pop hooks and a surprising dance influence on the first half of the album.
Which leads me to “The Best of Me.” The Duran Duran-style bassline caught my attention first, and the pleading lyrics (“Our hearts are still warm but they are getting colder”) are right up my alley. But I kept listening because I couldn’t figure of what else it reminded me, until one day walking to work it hit me: It sounds like a Coldplay ballad, sped up. I can picture Chris Martin playing this at the piano, and it makes me love it even more. There’s no video, as it’s just an album track, but here’s a link.

No comments:

Post a Comment